Milica Gašić is a Professor of the Dialog Systems and Machine Learning Group at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf. Her research focuses on fundamental questions of human-computer dialogue modelling and lie in the intersection of Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. Prior to her current position she was a Lecturer in Spoken Dialogue Systems at the Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge where she was leading the Dialogue Systems Group. Previously, she was a Research Associate and a Senior Research Associate in the same group and a Research Fellow at Murray Edwards College. She completed her PhD under the supervision of Professor Steve Young and the topic of her thesis was Statistical Dialogue Modelling for which she received an EPSRC PhD Plus Award. She holds and MPhil degree in Computer Speech, Text and Internet Technology from the University of Cambridge and Diploma (BSc. equivalent) in Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Belgrade. She is a member of ACL, a member of ELLIS and a senior member of IEEE.
Best paper awards: CSL (2010), Interspeech (2010), SLT (2010), Sigdial (2013), Sigdial (2015), EMNLP (2015), ACL (2016), EMNLP (2018), SIGDIAL (2020) and *SEM (2020).
- Workshop co-chair for Association for Computational Linguistics, Seattle, USA, 2020
- Serving on the organising committee for Conversational AI, NeurIPS workshop 2019
- Programme co-chair for SIGDIAL, Stockholm, Sweden, 2019
- Area chair for EMNLP, Hong Kong, 2019
- Area chair for Association for Computational Linguistics, Florence, Italy, 2019
- Programme committee member for NeurIPS, Vancouver, 2019
- Area chair for Association for Computational Linguistics, Melbourne, Australia, 2018
- Serving on the organising committee for IEEE workshop on Spoken Language Technology, Athens, Greece, 2018
- Serving on the organising committee for Young Women Researchers in Speech Science and Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2017
- Serving on the organising committee for ICML workshop on Learning to Generate Natural Language, Sydney, Australia, 2017
- Appointed board member for SigDial, 2017-2018
- Serving on IEEE Speech and Language Processing Technical Committee , 2017-2019.
- Guest editor for Computer Speech and Language Special Issue on Spoken Language Understanding and Interaction, 2016
- Serving on the organising committee for Machine Learning for Spoken Language Understanding and Interaction, NIPS workshop, 2015
- Serving on the advisory committee for Dialog State Tracking Challenge 2015
- Serving on the programme committee for MLIS, an ECAI Workshop on Machine Learning for Interactive Systems: Bridging the Gap among Language, Motor Control and Vision, Montpellier, France, 2012
- Serving on the advisory committee for Young Researchers' Roundtable on Spoken Dialogue Systems, Tokyo, Japan, 2010
- Serving on the organising committee for Young Researchers' Roundtable on Spoken Dialogue Systems, London, UK, 2009