Jump to contentJump to search

International student exchange with the ERASMUS programme

Would you like to study one or two semesters abroad and receive financial support? The international exchange programme Erasmus+ could be just right for you.

If you are studying Computer Science or Artificial Intelligence and Data Science at HHU, you can easily study at an Erasmus partner institution abroad via Erasmus and have the courses you have completed abroad recognised here. We encourage you to study abroad for at least one semester; we recommend a semester in which you primarily take elective courses (e. g. fifth Bachelor semester) – but you can also go abroad during another semester.

NB: The Erasmus Scholarship at HHU is for students who study at HHU and want to study one or two semesters abroad. Students who study at HHU and do not want to study abroad can find information on scholarships here.

Where can I go?

Currently, there are Erasmus partnerships for computer science with the following institutions:

Your preferred country or university is not listed? We can establish partnerships with other universities on request, provided that the university offers computer science (or a related course of study) and is located in a country in the Erasmus area. Please contact us at least one year before your planned stay because a new cooperation agreement must then be set up.

For some universities, we have reports of other students' experiences. On the Erasmus partnership map, you can find more reports.

When planning your stay abroad, please note that the semester dates of the foreign universities may differ from ours. If there are overlaps with our examination periods, an individual solution can usually be found.

Recognition of credits

Usually, elective modules are completed abroad; in particular, recognition of computer science modules for which there is no direct equivalent here is also possible after consultation. We will discuss exactly which modules you can have recognised before you start your stay abroad.

Financial support

On an exchange within the Erasmus programme, there are no tuition fees at the partner university. You also have the chance to receive an Erasmus grant; the amount depends on the destination country, the type of travel and certain social circumstances. Information on the current funding rates can be found on the information page of the International Office.


You want to go abroad using Erasmus? Then you must first complete the online application and then submit the following documents by :

  • Completed online application as PDF – we recommend that you also indicate a second and third preference
  • Short letter of motivation (approx. 1 page), stating the following:
    • Why would you like to go abroad?
    • Why would you like to study at the chosen university?
    • If applicable, explanation of significant deviation from the course plan
  • CV (tabular form)
  • Current Transcript of Records and Bachelor's certificate if applicable

Application deadline (for the following winter/autumn semester and next year’s summer/spring semester): 31 January

After the application

You will receive a confirmation of receipt within one week. Within one month after the application deadline, you will be informed whether you have been awarded an Erasmus place.

The further procedure of the Erasmus exchange is described on this page of the International Office. There you can also find any documents you will need and a compact checklist.

Studying abroad independently of Erasmus

You can also always study independently of Erasmus at a foreign university of your choice. We will gladly advise you on the possibility of recognition of credits before your stay. Advice on how to organise your own stay is provided by the International Office.

There are a limited number of places at partner universities for which no tuition fees are usually charged. Places at partner universities outside Erasmus are allocated centrally by the International Office.

Information on possible scholarships can be found here.

Information for incoming students

You are studying at a foreign institution in the Erasmus area and want to study one or two semesters of Computer Science (Bachelor de, Master en/de) or Artificial Intelligence and Data Science (Master en) at HHU? If an Erasmus partnership exists with us, this is no problem; contact your Erasmus coordinator at your home university directly. If no partnership exists yet, you are welcome to establish a new cooperation agreement with us; please contact your Erasmus coordinator.

Information for employees

Short, funded stays at partner universities for training or teaching purposes are possible as part of a staff mobility.

Responsible for the content: